Particular help for college students from overseas

The transition to college can be confusing. So when it comes to traveling thousands of miles away, as is the case with international students coming to study in mainland France, it can be even more destabilizing. Special assistance is planned for their support.

Some cross oceans or even the world to follow a training course: this is the case for some young people from abroad after obtaining higher education. In addition to the support available to all students, Residents abroad benefit from special assistance to carry out their studies outside their family home.

Covered return flight for international students

The decision to study in France already implies the possibility of paying for the plane ticket. This cost, which is often expensive, can be covered by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs through the Student Mobility Passport.

This device gives you the right full or partial coverage of the return air ticket for foreign students depending on their financial capabilities. If you are a scholarship holder, the return air ticket will be 100% refunded. If you do not have a scholarship, but you meet the requirements, 50% of the entrance fee is paid.

The device refers to going to continental France, but also to another overseas territory, or to the European Union. Another condition is that targeted training must be non-existent or saturated in the territory of origin.

Students eligible for a Student Mobility Passport must meet the following criteria :

  • To grow old under 26 on October 1 of the academic year for which you are applying;
  • live in Guadeloupe, Guyana, Martinique, Mayotte, Réunion, Saint-Barthélemy or Saint-Martin;
  • be attached to a household tax does not exceed 26,631 euros on the last tax notice;
  • Finally, if it is not the first year of study, aid is not awarded to students who have not confirmed their study year or who have not received a competition twice in a row.

The application can be renewed every academic year. To apply, you must go to the LADOM (Overseas Agency for Mobility) website that processes the files.

Priority foreign scholars in Crous residences

Finding accommodation when you’re thousands of miles away can also be a real headache. For international students seeking accommodation in a university residence, please note that at the same scholarship level as a student from mainland France, Crous give priority to rooms for residents abroad.

Accommodation in Crous residences allows you to arrive in a new student city without worrying about moving.

Read also

Distance criterion better taken into account in Crous scholarships

For the beginning of the 2022 school year, the calculation of the amount of scholarships was revised, with better consideration of distance between home and place of study for international students.

Until now, there were only three categories of distance. Since the beginning of the 2022 school year, two more categories have been added:

  • From 0 to 30 km
  • From 30 to 249 km
  • From 250 to 3,499 km
  • From 3,500 to 12,999 km
  • More than 13,000 km

Until then, students from abroad who applied for a scholarship were only awarded two points for the distance charge. From now on, students from the West Indies, Réunion, Mayotte and Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon, concerned about distances between 3,500 and 13,000 km, benefit from three charging points.

For students traveling more than 13,000 km, this gives four charges. These are students from New Caledonia and French Polynesia, who come to study in continental France.

This allows scholarship holders to upgrade their scholarships, and new students, gives several more opportunities to be qualified.

Read also

Scholarships are held during the summer

While the payment of scholarships is usually suspended in July and August, the same is not true for international students moving for their studies.. Some may continue to receive their funding over the summer, including:

  • all scholarship students who live in continental France and whose parents live in an overseas territory;
  • students from Wallis and Futuna studying in New Caledonia;
  • students in French Polynesia or New Caledonia but who had to change islands to find their training.

If these devices are the main ones that exist, Support specific to each department or overseas community is also available. Inquire directly with these institutions to find out about them. There are also many associations in mainland France that inform you of the procedures and assistance you may be entitled to.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button