Call documents for Ph.D
Doctoral Initiation Workshop at Maison de la Recherche, Pessac.
8 and 16 December 2022
Popular education and the university: hostile sisters?
Workshop initiated by Benoist Blanchard, PhD student of the MICA laboratory of the University of Bordeaux-Montagne
> Presentation of the seminar
In his opposition to Public Education politics (Besse et al.: 2016), he does not like to be scrutinized: however, it would be his tragedy to be ignored as an activist. Filled with this violent force, his rebellious nature commands him to change the framework of analysis of a university model that claims to give individuals freedom of thought and intellectual, even political autonomy. Is Public Education defined by one rejection after another, out of whim or out of necessity for survival? the rejection of transmission, the rejection of mediation, the rejection of its classification, in short, the rejection of the university model. It affirms its approach in spaces of action and claims to restore to individuals the means of autonomy to act and think, away from canonical spaces of Knowledge…
In its column of December 7, 2020, the French Federation of Social and Sociocultural Centers, recognized as a public service in 1931 and approved for public education, joins forces with popular education actors, civil society organizations and researchers from the academic world. to protest to state bodies, unions, the media and the general public about the urgency and necessity of waging a “democratic struggle”. And while this text reaffirms the urgency of acting together with citizens to reactivate a democracy that cannot be “reduced to the right to vote”, at the end of the tribune all organizations, politicians, media, trade unions, associations, but not state institutions: will they ultimately be perceived as alienating and liberating? ?
This seminar was born out of a desire to overcome this tension and to understand to what extent collaboration between Public Education and the academic world can be possible without diminishing the identity of the former (political freedom, social action) in favor of an institutional framework. and authority of the latter.
In a multidisciplinary manner, three educational axes are envisaged for Public Education:
1/ How to approach, think about and define this movement in SHS research;
2/ Conditions, issues and perspectives of the dialogue between Public Education and scientific research, especially the mediation and transmission of knowledge, and therefore the possible relations between academic circles and militant circles;
3/ Address the political displacement of research in Political Science and the reappraisal of emotions as intersecting practices in Research and Public Education.
> Organization and contributors
This workshop will be spread over three and a half days, two of which will be open to doctoral students:
– Thursday, December 1, noon : Round table with local professionals and volunteers and community participation led by Hugo Fourcade (Lab LACES, University of Bordeaux),
– Thursday, December 8, noon: History of Popular Education with Laurent Besse, (IUT de Tour, MCF in 20th century history of education, history of youth) and Sport History in popular education with Julien Fuchs (STAPS de Brest) + 1 PhD student;
– Friday, December 16, morning: History of Ideas by Florence Boulerie (“Plurielles” team, UBM) and Context and challenges of today’s Public Education by Emmanuel Porte (responsible for research and studies at INJEP and co-director of the review action”) + 1 PhD student.
> Proposal format
Interested doctoral students should submit a communication proposal (.pdf) containing the following elements:
• Surname, First name, laboratory and axis, status and e-mail;
• Name of the contact;
• Selected interference axis;
• An abstract of 300 words (not including bibliographic references) highlighting the interest of the contribution and containing an overview of the problem and a theoretical framework;
• List of cited references (maximum 5).
Paper proposals should be sent no later than November 13, 2022 to: [email protected]
> Venue of the workshop
Research House of the University of Bordeaux Montaigne, Pessac.