What is the law on homeschooling?
In France, education is compulsory for all children, French and foreign, between the ages of 3 and 16. Parents can choose to send their children to school; or to undertake this instruction themselves, provided that this instruction applies only to the children of the same family.
The new legislation confirming respect for the principles of the Republic (Law No. 2021-1109 of August 24, 2021) will tighten access to this way of learning from the beginning of the academic year 2022, knowing that the official objective remains to allow a child to acquire specific knowledge and skills. The upbringing of a child in the family it will become humiliating and tests designed to measure children’s learning will be strengthened.
To note: families whose children were home-schooled in 2021 will benefit from a moratorium until 2023-2024 if they confirm the inspection carried out by the Academic Inspectorate.
>> Our service – Discover all our insurance comparisons (health, car, home, funeral etc.)
How is homeschooling monitored?
The control that is already in place is carried out:
- at the municipal level on the initiative of the mayor from the 1st year, then every 2 years until the child reaches the age of 16;
- and at the initiative of the academic directors of the national education services (Dasen).
In case of opposition to pedagogical control, Dasen can report this event to the prosecutor.
What is the purpose of controls?
The individual controls to which students are subjected are aimed at ensuring that they acquire knowledge (common base) and the necessary skills. They are led by the academy inspector, possibly assisted by a school psychologist. If the acquired skills are insufficient, a second check will be required. If the result of the second check is still insufficient, Dasen can require the child to be enrolled in school within two weeks. In case of refusal, offenders are subject to 6 months of imprisonment and a fine of 7,500 euros.
To note: students who pass the tests will receive automatic permission for the 2022-2023 and 2023-2024 school years.
>> To also read – Training: Who do I call? What compensation?
Who can homeschool?
Before the start of the school year in September 2022, families will have to submit a declaration to the mayor of their municipality and Dassen to inform him. This declaration must be renewed annually. If this statement of instructions is not sent to the mayor and Dassen, the offending families will be fined €1,500.
The (written) declaration must include the following information:
- Surname, first name, date of birth and address of the child.
- Surname, first name and address of the child’s parents.
- Address to which instructions are provided if different from home address.
What are the reasons for homeschooling?
Based on this parental declaration, Dasen will issue a permit provided one of the following 4 reasons is met:
- The child’s health condition or disability does not allow him to be educated in a conventional school.
- The practice of intense sports or artistic activities.
- Homelessness of the family, transfer of the child from any public school.
- The presence of a child-specific situation motivating the specific educational project, provided that the persons responsible for his education justify their ability to provide education in the family. No special degree is required to guarantee teaching. The selected approach and training methods must be presented to the inspector responsible for control.
In practice, the request for permission must include a written presentation of the educational project, as well as the documents proving the possibility of conducting training in the family. It is granted for a period not longer than the school year, unless it is based on the child’s health condition or disability.
Parents who have been convicted by a criminal judge, or who are on the national criminal record for sexual or violent offences, cannot be held responsible for the family investigation.
Good to know: failure to respond from the academic director within two months of the request for permission will constitute a decision of acceptance.
Can I get financial aid?
People with at least 2 dependent children under the age of 20 who are brought up in the context of home education are entitled to family allowances. Paid monthly, these allowances are adjusted according to resources, the number of dependent children and their ages.
On the other hand, home schooling does not entitle you to Back to School Allowance (ARS). If some children cannot be enrolled in school, they will be enrolled free of charge at the National Center for Distance Learning (Cned), in consultation with Dasen.
Homeschooling qualifies for college and high school scholarships.
Social fund for high school students: Who can benefit from it? And how ?
Get our latest news
Every day the choice of basic information of the day.